County Wexford, the cornerstone of Ireland’s Ancient East, is the perfect destination for your Bank Holiday family getaway. With dramatic landscapes, breathtaking views, loads of walking trails, sandy beaches, ancient castles, exciting family attractions, Viking, Celts and Norman history, the oldest working lighthouse and much more to be discovered.
County Wexford, in the so-called Sunny South East, has something that suits everyone, from families to couples or solo travellers, from kids to retired, from outdoor enthusiasts to culture and history lovers and Treacys Hotel Enniscorthy is the ideal base to get to explore Wexford.
Here are few things to do as a couple, a family or solo on a long bank holiday weekend in County Wexford.
MAY BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND
There are many different events happening in and around Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford, during the May Bank Holiday weekend. Some of them include:
- Wells House, a Victorian Tudor gothic country house museum, located around 7 km outside of Kilmuckridge, County Wexford always celebrates the May Bank Holiday with live music, BBQ lots of fun for all the family.
- Hook Lighthouse holds Shine A Light Festival that showcases the work of the Irish Coast Guard, Water Safety Ireland and The Dunbrody Archers with fun family games, lots of activities and great food. An action-packed weekend of festivities will be on offer daily for all the family with Captain Hook and Pirate Pat
The May Bank Holiday weekend, weather permitting, it is a great time to explore County Wexford walk trails. A selection of beautiful walks awaits you in Wexford: wooded, historic, coastal and mountain trails.
- Raven Point Wood Nature Reserva can’t be missed. A beautiful 6.8 km woodland walkway, with a walking time around 1h 30 minutes this blue trail is great to enjoy with kids.
- Ballyteige Burrow, in Kilmore Quay, well known for its dunes, offers three walking routes; along the beach, through the dunes, or on the path.
- Very close to Enniscorthy, Treacys Hotel Wexford home town, it sits the town of Outlart, that counts with The HILL 1798 Battlefield Walking Hub. There are three routes to choose to suit all fitness level. You can visit the Tulach a’ tSolais, a tulach or burial mound, as a place of connection between the world of the living and the ‘other world’ was common in ancient Ireland.
JUNE BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND
June is definitely one the best months to visit the stunning and historical gardens in and around Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.
- Kilmokea Country Manor & Gardens is situated near Campile, New Ross. There is a depth of richness in the unspoilt nature of these gardens where the Tree Fairy Village attracts thousands of Fairy hunters who all adore these fairy homes.
- John F. Kennedy Arboretum consists of 622 acres including 4,500 types of trees and shrubs, 200 forest plots, rhododendrons and dwarf conifers. It has a playground for the little ones, a coffee shop and some trails to walk or ride your bike.
- In Johnstown Castle State & Gardens pathways throughout the grounds meander through the woodland garden and around the lakes. A Peacock family lives in the garden so if you are lucky you can see the males fanning out their trains and be delighted by the colours on the feathers.
Apart from visiting the gardens, there are also many great festivals happening in Co. Wexford during the June Bank Holiday Weekend.
- The Hooked On The Sea Festival at the Wexford Hook Lighthouse holds a BBQ and many exciting games on the lawns. There are also reports of the pirates on the horizon.
- The Strawberry Fair, Street Rhythms and Roots Festival takes place in Enniscorthy, the home of Treacys Hotel Wexford during the June Bank Holiday weekend. Some of the things that take place during the weekend include the election of the Strawberry Princess, kids workshops and lots of music, food, fashion and arts.
AUGUST BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND
Rockin’ Food Festival is Wexford’s ultimate summer festival. It is located in Enniscorthy and blends the perfect mix of the things we love the most about summer – delicious food, great music and family fun. Expect a great line-up of Irish and international rockabilly artists, great food stands, loads of activities for children, cook demos, chef exhibitions, a funfair, Ferris Wheel and much more.
While travelling through the sunny south east, you must definitely visit some of the incredible beaches that County Wexford has to offer:
- Curracloe beach is the top beach for locals. Along 11 radiant kilometres from Blackwater to Ravens Point, Curracloe is sensational for walking, swimming, running or bringing your furry friends. You can even try surfing, the Surf Hack offers surfing lessons and has boards to rent. There is also a coffee shop if you want to get a delicious 99 ice cream.
- Morriscastle beach is what can only be described as heaven. Golden sand and grassy green sand dunes will give you the perfect picture. And it is only 25 minutes drive from Treacys Hotel Wexford.
CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR’S EVE
Christmas at Wexford is definitely an unique experience. There are many exciting things to do during the Christmas period in and around Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford and this include the following:
- Santa’s Enchanted Caste is an event not to be missed! It is the most magical place to visit Santa this festive season for all the family.Explore the enchanted castle with your comical tour guide, Smelfy the Elf. Every chamber is uniquely decorated with individual themes such as The Greatest Showman, Aladdin, Toy Story, Winnie the Pooh as well as a mesmerising UV Lion King Experience. The tour finishes with a private family visit with Santa. There will be a lot of singing, dancing games and laughter as well as some tasty treats along the way.
- The Wexford Winterland Festival brings the magic of Christmas to Wexford Town during the festive season. The spectacular Wexford on Ice, a real ice ring, is the jewel of the festival. Set on Wexford Quay it is the perfect thing to do with kids with lots of fun guaranteed.
Come and visit Co. Wexford, the Sunny South East, during any of the Bank Holiday weekend in Ireland this year. Stay at Treacys Hotel Enniscorthy and enjoy loads of great activities to do with the kids. Your family will love it. Book direct for best price guaranteed.